Police: Suspected Killer of NYSC Corps member arrested

The Kaduna State Police Command says it has arrested two persons in connection with the murder of NYSC corps member, Lawal Auwal-Kontagora.

The 26-year-old, who graduated from a university in Malaysia and returned to the country for the compulsory one year service in the National Youth Service Corps about four months ago, was killed by suspected hoodlums at the Malali in Kaduna North Local Government Area of the state.

The Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Aliyu Usman, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP, confirmed the arrest of the suspects.

He told our correspondent that two suspects had been nabbed by the men of the command, were being investigated to ascertain the level of their participation in the crime.

“The case is under investigation at the Homicide Section of the Criminal Investigation Department of the State Command,” he said.

One of the suspects Jamiliu also known as “Baba lado” is said to be a bus driver and a resident of Kwaru in Malali Badarawa District also in Kaduna North Local Government Area of the state.

The late Auwal-Kontagora was attacked and killed along Gambia Road, Malali Low Cost, on October 17, 2016, while visiting a female friend who resides along Gambia Road.

It was learnt that while they were in his car, a Peugeot 407, hoodlums were said to have approached the car and ordered them to open the door which they obeyed.

One of the late Auwal’s siblings, Yusuf Ma’aji-Kontagora said when alighted from the car, they were asked to kneel down and the hoodlums asked for their handsets.

He explained that it was when Lawal who left his handset inside the car tried to open the car door to pick up the handset and hand it over to the hoodlums; that they (hoodlums) shot him at close range.

“They were suspecting that he (Lawal) was trying to play a fast one on them. They shot him at a close range in his right leg,” he added.

Ma’aji-Kontagora said they received got information about the incident around 10pm and rushed him to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.